18.12.15

One Word 2016

Before I launch into the new word, I suppose some reflection on 2015 is in order. I chose 'new' as my One Word for 2015 with high hopes of feeling good and seeing new things happen. In September, I looked back and had thought that my word had not truly shaped my year as I had hoped. I lamented this to my daughter and she came back with a quick response; "That's ridiculous! Think about it mom..." So I did, and she was right. For the first time this year, I went on a vacation with my family that didn't include camping. We went to Kauai and had the time of our lives! I started a new job this year as a High School teacher and it has been filled with lots of new things and the school year isn't even over. I moved this past August as well into a new home. It was a miraculous move with God providing just what we needed, at the right time and within one day. Not everything new this year has been good, but instead have brought stress along with them. I am having to live without financial support for my kids from their dad; which has been difficult and frustrating. I have struggled with a new feeling of loneliness that has surprised me. I am longing for a man in my life which makes me feel ridiculous and old. Ridiculous because I cannot believe how quickly my heart attaches to someone; and old because I'm not sure how, nor am I ready, to navigate the crazy dating world. Sometimes the new things that have come into my life have not always been apparent. It's like the verse I chose says;
Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the dessert.
Isaiah 43:19
I have struggled to see the newness while in the wilderness and dessert of my life. Yet, when I look back, God has sprung forth; he is making a way for me to walk and there are rivers of life within the dessert of this time. So, I bid farewell to my One Word new, with some greater understanding for what Jesus means by doing a new thing in my life. It will be in the midst of my hardships and despite my own failures to perceive it; the way he makes through the wilderness of this time will create an oasis for me and my family.
Now on to the 'new' word for 2016... he he I'm so punny! :)

My One Word for 2016 is 'warrior'.

I have sat on this word for about a month trying to let it sink in. I wanted to see what it was supposed to really mean. The word itself conjures up images that are aggressive, portray strength, and imply imminent victory. The image of a warrior beating down an enemy that won't relent and needs to be repeatedly knocked down comes to mind. Warriors don't ever rest; they are constantly on edge, ready to fight, and seeking another battle. I'm not so sure I want anymore battles; I'm tired and I can't handle being on edge anymore. The more I thought about this word the more it was feeling like it wasn't right. I didn't want to choose the word if my intent was only to fuel feelings of aggression to conquer and not find peace. If warrior was my word for 2016, then what exactly am I supposed to be a warrior for? What is my mission? Who is my enemy? Why am I fighting and will I find the rest I'm looking for? I was then reminded of the tools or weapons that are needed when you go into battle and it brought me to the verses from the Bible that answered all my questions and sealed the deal for me on this word.

Ephesians 6:10-18a
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fasted on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.

This was the kind of warrior I could strive to be in 2016. My enemy is clear, my armor is from the one true God, and my battle field is in prayer. I know I will face many challenges in 2016 and I will be a warrior who is ready with truth, the righteousness of Christ, the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, the sword of the Spirit, and prayer.

I will be a warrior in 2016. I look forward to how this word will change how I live and shape me in the coming year.

No comments: