18.6.16

He rejoices over me...

My birthday was this past Friday, June 17th. I am a 'member' of an FB page called Knowing Christ 365. Pastor Kevin posts a verse every morning. It's become my daily verse and at times I even use it as a devotional for myself and students. On my birthday, the verse was something special to me.
2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
This was my verse for the day I was baptized back in 1987. It seems that Jesus continually reminds me that I am strong when I am weak, that I am strong in him and my weaknesses are really there for that purpose. I used to think that I was being reminded constantly of my arrogance and how I need to lower my head and put away my pride. It felt as if Jesus was reprimanding me every time I'd find myself seeing or hearing 2 Corinthians 12:9. But it didn't this time at all.
On Friday when I read the verse I just felt incredibly known and loved. Jesus is paying attention to me and is invested in what I'm doing and feeling. He knows my past, sees what I'm dealing with now, and wants to be intimately involved in what I'm doing, thinking, deciding, and worried about. This time I read the verse and I was reminded that in times when I am inadequate for the task, overwhelmed by all the work, and under pressure to perform, that's when he's there to shine for me. It is precisely when he is most present, when I understand my own inability to measure up even to my own standards for strength.
I was reminded on my birthday that Jesus remembers me. He knows that verse is a reminder of my baptism, he knows that I am feeling weak, tired, and ineffective. I felt known, heard, loved, cherished, and consoled. The creator of the world, died for me, rose from the dead for me, and he is more than just watching me walk through my life. He is intimately involved in my life. What an awesome gift!
He wants to be intimately involved in your life too.

The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save; 
he will rejoice over you with gladness; 
    he will quiet you by his love; 
he will exult over you with loud singing.

Zephaniah 3:17



No comments: