16.2.14

One Word for 2014

Don't make New Year's resolutions, instead choose one word to focus on for the whole year. http://oneword365.com/

Last year I worked on my attitude and asked Jesus to help me become intentional about my attitude, knowing he would show up when I least expected him to. I hadn't lost hope in Him; but my attitude was limiting what I would allow him to do in me. It was a good word for me and I kept it on my mind all year, but I think my attitude was not necessarily improved but watched. I don't know if it got better, but it did get paid attention to. I was constantly made aware that I needed to check my attitude and be sure it was aligned with how Christ wanted me to be thinking and feeling. It was a good exercise for an entire year.

It was a good enough exercise that I decided to do it again. This year the word that God chose for me seems very hard to understand in light of what I am going through. The word is happy. Yes, happy. This word has been one of my most hated words in the past. I realize now it is because I have not been happy for a long time. I used to think being happy was bad. Yeah, that sounds ridiculous. But when you are not happy, convincing yourself that happiness is not good seems like a good idea. I was instead searching for joy. What I have discovered is that joy and happiness are actually linked. Who would've thought.

Well, I found a verse to go with my word.
Proverbs 15:13
A happy heart makes the face cheerful;
but heartache crushes the spirit.

How true that has been for the past decade or so of my life. I want to start this new journey in search of true happiness in Jesus. So this year, despite my grief and the huge changes that are causing all kinds of struggle, I am going to be happy.

Just as the song lyrics say, "if you feel that happiness is the truth..." It is the truth... and it took me too long to figure that out.
Jesus said `These things I have spoken to you that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.` John 15:11

Jesus wants me to experience his joy as I walk with him in obedience and abide in him finding that happiness in him and nothing else. So ultimately, ... bring me down, can`t nothing, HIS love is too high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM&list=FL5a8dnKPDch7mWOLUnodkOA&index=13

No comments: