25.11.16

I don't want half

I went to a concert with my future husband two weeks ago. I think he noticed that I cried during a song that I'd never heard before. It was as if they were singing this song to me... she was looking right in my eyes. Even thinking about it now, I still get a lump in my throat and my eyes are brimming with tears.

I've been hurt. I act tough and I know how to pull through. I lean on my faith and trust that Jesus has me, right in his arms where I'm safe... despite what it sometimes looks like in my reality. I embrace my life with the joy that comes from within. My lover has seen through my tough exterior... I'm glad... but now I'm also exposed. I am vulnerable more than I was a month ago... I want to be and yet it is such a difficult place to live. So honey... be gentle with me.

... I'm just trying to make a happy life.... and I can't do it alone... don't you want to hold me close, let me be the thing you want the most.... I don't want to ask for much, just your simple truthful touch.... so please be truthful with me, that's all I want and need.... If I wanted all of you, would that be too much to ask.... I could take it all back, but I don't want too.... I don't want half and I shouldn't have to ask for that... it's all or nothing in fact, and I don't want half...

These words from the Paper Bird song when I heard them that night... were the words of my man being sung to me, by people that had no idea of their impact. It was amazing... as if planned for me to hear and absorb deep into my heart. The song seems to address my past and my future in ways that are, in my opinion, not an accident.

... so take the money, take the feeling, take this poison, take back your name.... and come the night time, take your things out of the closet, here's your ring.... take my heart up off the floor and onto a shelf forever more.... cause I don't want it, I don't want it not with your footprints upon it.... I don't want it, I don't want it not with your footprints upon it... I don't want it!

That's the part that made me cry... I didn't want my heart the way it was... it took two years to recover... and I wonder if I'm there yet... I so desperately want to keep my heart off that shelf. I don't want it to have visible footprints on it that seep sadness, bitterness, and fear into my future. I am praying that Jesus has healed me... is it wrong to want, to think, that my lover could heal me? Or help to heal me? Could I help to heal him? Is that not what we are meant to do for one another?

The farther I go down this path of intentionally being with this man and planning for a future, the more potential I see and yet there is more opportunity for failure. This is the road the path of love is taking me down. I have found my partner, and now the work begins.

.... I just want to make the happy life I've been waiting for so long... so would you please, be careful with me, wide open and free.... be the kind of man you've been to afraid to be...

I won't give half... in fact, I will give all of me.

I don't want half - Paper Bird

No comments: