10.12.16

Cleaning up

I have been in my garage lately; looking for photos, getting out Christmas decorations, and looking for winter gear. It has made me feel terrible going in there. My garage is full. There are five bikes, old luggage, boxed up photos, camping equipment, deck furniture, house decor, junk, old sports equipment, packaged up memories and a ton of car parts. I have to clean it up and get it out.

I feel like it is a reflection of the mess that I was supposed to have left behind three years ago. I want to reduce all my stuff and yet I have it boxed up and shoved into a garage. Why? Why am I hanging on to all of that stuff? Yes, when I go looking for something, I go in there and find it. But there is a whole bunch other stuff in there that I will never look for nor do I need. The boxes of memorabilia and photos aside, there is old junk in there that just has to go. A plan is formulating and I am going to finally be rid of it and rid of the past. This also means that I need to go through the memories and decide, how much of it is worth keeping?

All three of my children need to keep some of those memories and pictures of the past. There are reminders of their youth and of the happy times. Knowing that there was joy in the past and goodness within the mess is going to give them a foundation for building a better future. They have stuff in there that needs their attention, things that they need to decide whether they keep or let go. As the years move forward, my children are going to be leaving and starting lives of their own. My oldest should already be doing that, but he's stuck in limbo and all the stuff he has in the garage and in his room, is a reflection of how much that is true. That messy garage is as much an image of my muddled past as it is there's. We will get through all that mess and mud together and start the next chapter without carrying it around any longer.

The garage is slated to be emptied this spring and summer. The plan is now in the books. And when I plan something, it always happens.

No comments: