12.7.18

Kids are Forever

I'm away on vacation. I'm relaxed... although not sleeping that well, I sleep long. I'm reading a book, taking walks, stretching, drinking, going to the pool, watching movies, and eating good food. I'm having sex every single day. That is a big deal. Long distance marriage, that doesn't usually happen. Anyway... I won't focus on that. :)
I'm getting lots of rest as I'm not doing much, and so I'm getting a bit bored.

I'm on vacation, I'm 1930 kilometers away, but my kids still send me messages. I find out about the decisions they're making. I'm asked for help about various things. I'm told about how they have lost work, can't find a place to live, went on a date, and how they just had a really bad fight. I'm their mom, this will go on forever. And you know, I do love it and I do love them.

Let me put the boredom in perspective. I need this rest. I need to be away so that the ever present mothering can have some kind of break. So, suck it up and find stuff to do, or just be bored. Boredom can spark creativity. I don't need to go back to the children just yet, they have a way of finding me anyway.

For those of you who don't have children, mine are 24, 20, and 17. I know from my own relationship with my parents, the connection will go on forever. It is the way it is. If you don't have children and you don't want that, don't have children. You are forever a parent. To your own children, to your children's friends, to your children's children, and now I'm even a parent to my husbands children. His are 26, 24, 17, and 14. That's a lot of children. I need to start calling his and mine, ours. It's still in transition. I'll get there.

This isn't my own thought, so I'll give credit where it's due.

Kids are forever. ~ Rachel Hammer

No comments: